How to Care For Your Engagement Ring
Here is a list of do’s and don’ts put together by the Trumpet & Horn team to help ensure your ring lasts through several more lifetimes!
- We recommend that you don’t sleep in your ring! Over time, your ring can bend out of its original shape and/or loosen the prongs that hold your center stone.
- Do keep your ring box or invest in a sweet little ring dish to house your pretty ring safely. Make it a part of your daily routine to put it on in the morning, and place it in the ring box before you go to bed at night.
- We strongly recommend that you don’t wear your ring to the gym, or during any other activities that heavily involve your hands, like yoga, washing dishes, gardening, making pottery, working on your car, etc. Breaking a prong on both new & vintage rings is a lot easier than you might think. If you’re questioning whether or not you should take it off, you probably should!
- Do protect your ring from water damage! Engagement rings typically don’t get along well with showers, hot tubs, lakes, or the ocean. Chemicals & salt content in water are one thing, but if you’re thinking “this would be gone forever if it came off of my finger right now,” keep that in mind too!
- Do clean your ring at least once a month with a soft, used toothbrush and mild dish soap. Or, use Windex and a paper towel for a quick, gotta-get-out-the-door cleaning. If you’re feeling thirsty, dunk your ring in a glass of Vodka to clean it! If you have an ultrasonic machine, avoid using it on rings with soft stones, like pearls and opals. Also, if your mounting contains small stones, they can be shaken loose by ultrasonic waves. We highly recommend Lavish jewelry cleaner as well!
- Do show it off and wear it proudly! If you’re on social media, tag us on Instagram or use the hashtag #tootyourhorn We can’t wait to see it!